Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Video Assignment



Stannard Gymnasium, Lyndon State College, Lyndonville, VT- Today I learned some tips and tricks from my friend David, as well as some of the members of the men’s basketball, The Hornets. I learned proper stance, hand placement, all the sweet moves.

It was a lot of fun working with David, Jojo and Josh because they put up with me so well. I’m terrible at most sports, and basketball is no exception. The guys were very patient, and their pointers made sense. That’s one thing that I like about sports; the logistics of it. If you keep your elbow in an L and use your non-dominant hand to guide the ball, you get more power, more lift, and more control to your throw. It’s like watching a tennis ball hit a wall, and using math/logic to figure out where it’ll land; with the right trajectory and amount of force combined with a keen eye, you can properly make a basket.

There’s certain rituals each person has; Jojo bounces the ball twice, David spins it and brings it around his back, I do a little jig and then kick my heels up. Whatever works; as long as you can properly assess how far you need to throw, and how hard you’ll have to throw.  Really the game all boils down to trajectory, force, and complete self-confidence. Like David said, you have to step up to the line knowing you’ll make it, because it doesn’t matter if you miss, you can always shoot again.

Plus, just having some sort of physical activity in your day to day life is extremely healthy and could even help prevent certain illnesses in the future. Having hobbies at this age is healthy for our personal health, as well as the heath of our relationships; you’ll never meet anybody new if you never do anything new. Even though I felt uncomfortable because I wasn’t at their skill level, the lessons they taught me were simply, yet very easy to remember.


Finally, the last thing that I learned, or re-learned rather, is that perfection is earned, not just rewarded. I wasn’t automatically good because I wanted to me, and the guy were’t automatically super good either; we have to work towards our dreams and goals, and put our time and effort into things we’re passionate about. I had fun, and I made new friends, while trying something new.


*AS OF RIGHT NOW I CANNOT EMBED THE VIDEO BUT HERES A LINK*

No comments:

Post a Comment